Friday, October 12, 2007

Fictional Reader Mail

(Sorry Kasmira, I’ve pinched this idea from you!)
Since my readers don’t email me to ask for my advice (why don’t you do that?), I’ll answer some of the questions asked in referring searches instead, and put it in the style of a letter because, well, it’s just more fun that way.

Dear Shoegal
What are the best shoes to wear with a long denim skirt?
Confused


Dear Confused
I have a long denim skirt of my own (although I don’t wear it much, it’s hard to walk in) and I find that knee high boots work well with it, either heeled or flat, especially when paired with thick tights in winter. If the denim is not too heavy, you could try it with flip flops in summer too. Mine is a thick, heavy denim so I stick to wearing it in the winter and pairing it with boots.
Shoegal



Hello Shoegal
How do I stop my shoes and boots rubbing my poor little tootsies?
Sore Feet


Dear Sore Feet
If you are wearing your shoes with bare feet you need to get yourself to Boots or Superdrug (or the local equivalent) and buy yourself the magic green stick that is Compeed Anti-Blister. You will find it with the other foot products such as corn plasters, Scholl everything and innersoles.
For boots that rub, I suggest wearing thick socks inside them for a while to help stretch them out a bit. Do this even when you’re wearing tights: no one is going to see the socks inside your boots. If you know it is a particular toe that gets rubbed, put a large plaster on it for cushioning. I know Scholl make some sort of gel cushions for the tops of toes as part of their Party Feet range but I have not experimented with those and so I don’t know how effective they are. If anyone has tried them, please leave a comment and let us all know how you got on.
Shoegal



Shoegal, I’m really tall (6ft) and I am struggling to find tights that are long enough for me. Can you help?

Hi there,
Try MyTights – they have a section for extra-tall and XXTall ladies and offer advice on the best brands for tall ladies of the ones they stock. Tall Girls currently have a range of footless tights, if that’s what you’re looking for; personally I don’t see the point. Long Tall Sally also carry a small selection of tights but these are all by Levante (who I can highly recommend for length), who are stocked at MyTights. I am happy to buy tights in pretty much any high street store – just check the size guide on the back and the Lycra content. If there’s plenty of Lycra in them then even those tights that say they are only suitable for up to a height of 5’10” will be fine for you.
Shoegal

2 comments:

  1. Pinch away!

    I found that after I made up a few mail bag entries, I started getting real questions via the comments and email.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoegal, my work ankle boots are nearing the end of their life and so I need some comfortable hardwearing shoes that I can wear socks with (my feet aren't built for the Northern climate), what would you recommend?

    Shoe-shy of Guiseley

    ReplyDelete