Friday, January 25, 2008

A Brief History of My Shoe Addiction

I believe I have mentioned before Clark’s Magic Key shoes that my childhood friend had and I did not. But my love of heels did not begin until much later.
As I put them on this morning, it struck me how much my navy shoeboots resemble the shoes I had when I was in the fifth form at school. My mum made the grave error of letting my dad take me shoe shopping and we went to Saxone where they had the Tall & Small range (now part of Barratts I believe) and I returned with not one but two pairs of shoes, reduced in the sale. See, even at 15 years old I was savvy for a bargain. The first pair, my ‘school shoes’ were black flats with a silver kind of Celtic design attached to the front. The second pair were also black but very similar to these shoeboots in style, only they were elasticated under the crossover at the sides so there was no zip. The heel was probably slightly lower and was definitely chunkier, but not chunky like the many of the styles that were around in 1994. And I believe that this is where my love for heels began. They were not my first pair of heels. No, those had been a couple of years earlier, bought for a wedding, worn that one time and then relegated to the bottom of the wardrobe because they were the most uncomfortable shoes I had ever owned. But these shoeboot type ones I wore throughout the fifth form and probably into the sixth form. In the sixth form I pinched a pair of my sister’s shoes (which she never wore) that had a chunky sole and a chunky 3 or 4 inch heel and loved those right up until the time they split across the top in my first year of university. And it was a downhill spiral from there really, by this time I had met my housemate who was already a shoe addict and I didn’t take much encouragement to develop my love of shoes. But without it, I would not be Shoegal, this blog would not exist and your day would be considerably duller for not having read this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment