Thursday, January 03, 2008

Confusing Fashion

Is anyone else confused by the fashion spread in this month’s ‘Cosmopolitan’ magazine (January 2008 issue)? The first story is summer dresses, then there’s gym wear (OK, New Year resolutions and all that, I’ll give them that one) and finally, white shirts. Hello?! It’s JANUARY! It’s snowing outside. What use are summer dresses without polo necks and tights to accompany them and keep us warm. Actually, I’m starting to think that I should give up on UK fashion magazines altogether (but then, how would I know where to buy all the fabulous shoes?). I keep a Look Book by cutting out looks I like from magazines and pasting them into a notebook. And I am increasingly finding that, from the magazines I buy on a regular basis (Look, Company, Cosmo UK, Glamour UK, Glamour US, Lucky, Elle UK), it is the American ones which have the fashion spreads that appeal to me more. If you are a Brit who has never read a US fashion magazine, take a look at one next time you are in Borders. I find that the stories they run in the US magazines suit my style far more than some of the wacky ‘out there’ pieces shown increasingly in British magazines. It’s all just so much more wearable in the US publications. I’m not going to give up on British magazines of course, there are too many features I do read and enjoy, it’s just that I think I should give them up and read books or something instead. But there are not usually any pictures of shoes in books and where’s the fun in that?

No comments:

Post a Comment