Sunday, March 30, 2008

Marketing (And A Short Review of Clinique Makeup)


As a consumer I believe that absolutely the best way to market a new product is to give people a free sample of it. You can tell people how good something is until you’re blue in the face, but if they can try it out for themselves, chances are they will go back and purchase the full-size version. Clearly the advertisers agree with this: just open any women’s monthly glossy magazine and check out the countless perfume scented pages, makeup samples and shampoo sachets that can be found inside any given issue.

From the manufacturer’s point of view, giving away a free sample with another purchase is also a good way to showcase a new product to your existing customers. An example of this is the Bonus Time offer that Clinique are currently running in Boots stores in association with Cosmopolitan magazine.

You get a box of sample size goodies with any two purchases from the Clinique line. I was in my local Boots buying a refill for my Super Balanced Compact Foundation so I figured I would buy two at the same time and claim my free box. Included inside, amongst other things, is a small tube of Lash Doubling Mascara, and a Colour Surge Eye Shadow Pallet. I have not had any experience with Clinique makeup products other than the foundation I just started using, but based on these two samples alone I am a convert. The mascara has a specially shaped brush that tapers towards the end making application easy. The eye shadow glides on and stays put all day.

I’m not sure I will buy the full size products regularly as the mascara is £12.50 and the eye shadow is £14, but I may be tempted to splash out on it occasionally now that I know how good it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment