Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Outfit: Stripes, Polka Dots and Pattern Mixing

18-05-11c


18-05-11d


18-05-11f


18-05-11g


May18


NL Stripe flats


In my continuing obsession with all things navy blue (and that’s in addition to my stripes obsession) I’ve added some polka dots into the mix. And a mix is just what’s going on here: a pattern mix. Some folk find pattern mixing strange or difficult – but the key is to keep your colours the same and then anything goes.

18-05-11b


I had initially planned to wear plain navy shoes with this, but the sweet little stripe flats looked so great with it that I couldn’t resist adding a third pattern.

18-05-11e


And now I’ll let you into a little secret. See that skirt? Not really a skirt. It’s a top. I saw them hanging in Dorothy Perkins on Sunday and thought they were skirts. On closer inspection they turned out to be boob tubes (though you really wouldn’t want to wear it as a top – there is NO elastic round the top edge nor is there any stretch in the fabric so I can’t see how it would stay up, plus it has no shape) but I went to try it on as a skirt anyway. I had to size up as obviously it hadn’t been designed as a skirt so there was no hips/bum allowance, but just one size bigger than I usually wear fitted fine. I had a discount code for 25% off (use code DVIPD online until Sunday) so it cost just £9.37.

18-05-11


I went to aqua aerobics last night, and I even managed to cycle to the gym. I think all this gym-going is paying off. The intention was never to lose weight as such, just tone up a bit and get fitter. However, my trench coat (which is the smaller of the two sizes I wear) is less snug this year than it was last year.

Navy cardi – Next Tall
White and navy stripe top – H&M
Navy and white polka dot skirt – Dorothy Perkins
Navy and white stripe flats – New Look
Navy heart pendant – Scope
Silver hoops – gifted

Total Est. Cost £49

4 comments:

  1. Very Cute!! Love it! (I would never think to do/try this!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!
    I came up with this as I tried the skirt on with my striped jacket on Sunday and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love this look, u look fab : )

    ReplyDelete