Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Jeans


Isn’t it funny how your fashion tastes change over a season? Last summer, skinny jeans were something I never thought I’d wear, yet now I own 3 pairs. I think they look best with boots over the top, but I have a longer length pair from the Tall collection at Topshop that I’m intending wearing with heels on Saturday night. I think the reason for my change of heart is the constant bombardment of celebs, magazine features, pictures in general of people wearing them and looking great. In the same way that a song will grow on you with continual airplay, fashions grow on me.

Back in 1997 when I started university, I was adamant flares were a one-season wonder and I was NOT going to wear them. However, after almost a year with my fashion savvy flatmate, I bought the first of many pairs of flared jeans, learned to love boots and haven’t looked back since. Then 8 years later skinny jeans make a return.

So, what are my favourite brands of jeans? Gap’s Long and Lean style seem to fit and flatter me the best (illustrated above), and the length is good (I’m very tall!). Also Topshop and Dorothy Perkins’s Tall range though sometimes the sizing can be a bit hit and miss in there. As for colour, my boyfriend likes me in dark denim so consequently I feel good in dark denim, plus it’s the smartest looking kind. But I also love pale jeans for a more relaxed look and in the right cut (long, flared or bootcut and over smart heels) they can also look pretty smart.

And I love to customise my jeans. If I ever get a digital camera I will post a picture! I have a pair I just love that were a classic tapered cut and I split the seams and inserted a piece of fabric to make a huge flare, and sewed patches on to the legs in the same fabric. On another pair I embroidered flowers on the bottom of the legs and on the back pockets. I’m not hugely talented at sewing but I think they look good and it gives you something truly unique if you customise your clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment