Thursday, November 06, 2008

Meme

I got tagged for another meme.

The rules are as follows:

1. Link back to the meme creator: Caz

2. Link to the person who tagged you: Missi of Domestic Sophisticate

3. Link back to the originator of the positive SA movement (I have no idea what that means!?): Cheap Thrills

4. List five reasons you love your state!

5. Tag at least five people: I think I’ll opt out of tagging on this one. Tag yourself if you want to complete this meme.


I don’t have a state as I live in the UK, so I’m going to write about my county instead as that’s probably the British equivalent to states. I live in Yorkshire, West Yorkshire to be precise. And I love it because:

1. The scenery – Yorkshire has arguably some of the best scenery in the country. We have the Yorkshire Dales, we have the North Yorkshire coastline and we have Dalby Forest.

2. Leeds – Leeds is a fantastic city. Because it is ‘up north’ it escaped much of the bomb damage during World War 2 that blighted southern cities such as London and Bristol. Consequently Leeds still has many of its old beautiful buildings and minimal 1960s hideousness.

3. The accent – I love the Yorkshire accent. If you’ve never heard it, search You Tube for a clip of Emmerdale Farm (Yorkshire based soap opera) from the 1970s or 1980s and you’ll understand what I mean (it’s no use watching Emmerdale these days, there’s hardly any ‘natives’ in it anymore). In fact, click here and here for the first ever episode from 1972.

4. The food – Sunday dinner would not be complete without Yorkshire Pudding for a start. And had I not grown up in Yorkshire I might never have eaten chips (the oven variety) with gravy, or baked beans with gravy. (What? It’s tasty. Really. Don’t knock it til you’ve tried it!)

5. The weather. Yes it rains here a lot, but we are in the east, on the east side of the Pennines, so it doesn’t rain here half as much as it does in Manchester or over the Pennines. And for that, we should be thankful.

2 comments:

  1. the 'positive SA movement' that you say you have no idea what it is, is this meme. Originally started to celebrate reasons to love South Africa, it has spread worldwide...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beans and gravy? Freak.

    And just because the weather's slightly better than Manchester doesn't make it nice. Compared to Lincolnshire, Yorkshire is the Arctic!

    I suppose I'll never see eye-to-eye with you 'natives' on this one!

    ReplyDelete