Monday, January 02, 2017

Recipe: Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Pancakes – AKA The Best Pancakes Ever!

SAM_6119-1


Let's kick off the new year with a recipe!

Want to make some fluffy, buttermilk pancakes and pretend they’re healthy as the have pumpkin in them? Course you do! Actually, these are semi-healthy as they do contain the pumpkin, and the sweetness comes from maple syrup, not refined sugar. We’ll just skip over the chocolate part, shall we?

So, this is a modification of this recipe, leaving out the nutmeg, cinnamon etc because I prefer my pancakes plainer. I also used milk chocolate chips and didn’t bother with the maple butter as I just like to melt a little regular butter (or Flora) on my pancakes. I guess you could sub out the plain flour, baking soda and baking powder for self-raising flour, but I haven’t tried that.

I made a half quantity of this batter and got seven pancakes out of it – you could definitely push for more by using a smaller amount of batter for each one. The batter is quite thick so a good tablespoon for each one would be fine. I saved a couple of the pancakes for the next day and toasted them in my toaster which worked fine, though obviously they taste best just made.

SAM_6109-1


You will need:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (Tesco sell this)
3/4 cup pumpkin puree (Tesco sell this in a can, I’ve also seen it in Waitrose)
2 eggs
4 tablespoons browned butter or melted butter
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips...or more! (100g should be fine, which is convenient as that’s the size of the pack they’re sold in)

Grab a large bowl and mix all the dry ingredients together, excluding the chocolate chips. In a smaller bowl mix everything else together, excluding the chocolate chips.

SAM_6112-1


Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and mix until just combined. Try not to cut your finger on the lid of the pumpkin can like I did... Add the chocolate chips, mix them in, then leave to stand for 10 minutes whilst you tidy everything away, wipe up the spills (just me?) and heat some oil or cooking spray in a frying pan (use a medium heat – the pancakes will be quite thick so you don’t want the outside burning before the middle is cooked).

SAM_6114-1


SAM_6115-1


Put a spoonful of batter in the pan, spread it out as best you can, then cook until the underside is browned. Flip it over and cook the otherside. You may need to turn each one a couple of times to ensure the middle is cooked.

SAM_6118


Try to resist the temptation to eat the pancake immediately and place on a warmed plate. Stack two or three pancakes up with a little butter in between and enjoy.


Follow me on:

No comments:

Post a Comment